Saturday 31 March 2018

Locker-room photo of hockey player breastfeeding her daughter is going viral

As TheStar.com reports, new mom and longtime hockey player Serah Small of Alberta, Canada, didn’t let her recent delivery stop her from returning to the ice for a tournament. She also didn’t let the inconvenience of accidentally leaving her breast pump behind prevent her from tending to her 8-week-old daughter, Ellie.
The solution, according to a Facebook post shared by the proud mama: Using breaks between game periods to ditch her jersey and nurse her baby in the locker room.
Small later shared a photo from the day on Facebook in a post that celebrates her ability to “do something I absolutely love while still meeting my baby’s needs.”
“I have been so scared to post this photo that I absolutely adore,” Small, who works as a teacher, wrote. “Why? Because society has made breasts sexual. After sharing the photo with a lactation consultant that has helped me and Ellie I have come to realize that it should not be something to be ashamed of but proud of.
“I have a really hard time feeding Ellie covered and have chose not to cover her at all. Although at times I feel the burn of judgmental eyes I feel more empowered than anything to be able to meet my baby’s needs the way my body intended.
“I have really struggled with accepting my new body as I have always had that athletic build. I have played hockey my whole life and when I found out I was pregnant I signed up to play in two tournaments in March trusting that my body would just ‘bounce back.’ Well this weekend I played four games with a short bench and really learned how different my body really is. I felt slower and lost at first on the ice. My body wasn’t doing the things my brain thought it could. But I have never been more proud of myself and my body.
“Forgetting my pump created all new challenges for me as well. I felt my milk come in and leak as I played and between periods I would strip down to feed my 8-week-old babe. Being a mom is absolutely amazing, and I’m so happy I got to do something I absolutely love while still meeting my baby’s needs. Our bodies are amazing, and this weekend was the first time I truly appreciated mine.”
Though some mom-shaming commenters have responded with criticism, Small’s post has largely been met with praise.
“This is what self-care and breastfeeding looks like,” cheered Milky Way Lactation Services, who shared Small’s inspiring photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

'House of Horrors' care home couple who 'kept elderly people "including a Briton" drugged while stealing their life savings' are arrested in Spain after five OAPs died

Couple, said to be of Cuban-German origin, arrested on Spain's Costa de la Luz  Pair are accused of keeping foreign OAPs shackled and...